Londyn’s Birth Story

Warning: Contains details you may not want to read. :) Also I am not one hundred percent sure that I got the exact order of things correct, it is a little blurry in my head. :)

March 31st, 2014 @ 1:30 pm: I was laying in my bed nursing Xanthe to sleep for her nap and I felt a pop in my stomach.  For a second I thought “that was weird, that wasn’t a kick, what was that?”.  Then I remembered the pop during Nathan’s birth and I realized that my water just broke.  I stayed laying down and called for Rylee to bring me a towel.  She brought a towel just in time.  I called my husband, midwives, mother in law, mama, and my doula.  Charlene- one of my midwives was out of town, so she couldn’t be there.   Then I took a shower and put on a comfy dress.  Rylee helped me clean up the house some.  Tim came home.  Not much happened for a while.  My doula Lisa came over and hung out for awhile.  She helped me make my bed for birthing.  She helped my husband get the birthing pool up and ready.  My mother in law came over.

At about 4:00 I started getting uncomfortable contractions.  Tim made me a smoothie.  One of my the assistant midwives Glennin came over and started monitoring me.  At about 5:30 the contractions really started hurting. My mother in law took my oldest two kids.  My midwife Charlotte came over with another assistant.  By now my contractions were pretty painful.  Charlotte checked me and I was only at a 3.  I think it was about 7:00?? I have always done all the work in the last two hours, so this didn’t overly concern me.  Tim ordered pizza for everyone.  As my contractions continued to get worse, I really wanted to get in the birthing pool.  Charlotte encouraged me to stay laying down because the water might slow me down.  I nursed Xanthe until she fell asleep. I wanted to get it over with so I listened to her advice.  My contractions continued to get more and more painful.  I tried to eat a slice of pizza but as soon as I had my next contraction, I felt like I was going to throw up so I stopped eating.  My husband rubbed my back each time I had one.  I kept thinking they are really bad now, maybe I can get in the birthing pool now.  But then I would talk myself out of it and decide to try to wait it out a little longer.  Lisa kept adding hot water to the tub one pot at a time so that it would be ready for me.

I ended up just staying in the same place on the end of my bed laying down the whole time.  Tim’s mom came back with Nathan and Rylee.  Xanthe was still sleeping.  Rylee wanted to stay for the birth, but she was planning on taking Nathan and Xanthe (if she ever woke up) out again.  I continued to have very painful contractions. I had a really horrible contraction and I was trying to tell them that it was time to get in the water, but it wouldn’t stop and all of a sudden I remembered that same sensation from Xanthe’s birth.  I could only get out “Maybe I am farther along than I thought” and  then I just started pushing.  I knew immediately that it was time.  I gasped for Tim to get the kids out of the room.  Charlotte checked me and realized that I was pushing the baby out.  Rylee stayed and encouraged me and rubbed my forehead.  I pushed and pushed, it was the longest five minutes of my life, but apparently it was five minutes.  Finally, I felt the baby come out.  They put the baby on my chest and as soon as I saw her face I said, “It’s a girl”.  They looked and sure enough, it was a girl.  She looked exactly like Xanthe to me.  She was healthy.  About that time,  the total euphoria kicked in and I felt so overwhelmed with it.  I felt like I had been given some drug that hasn’t been invented yet.  I think I said something to the effect of ” I love having babies, I wish I could have 30 in a row”.  I was able to nurse her right away.  She latched on so fast, she nursed for a long time.  She nursed on both sides. I delivered the placenta and Tim cut the cord. Nathan saw the baby and then my mother in law took him to her house to spend the night. Xanthe finally woke up from her nap and was very excited to meet the baby.  After a long time, I gave my husband the baby, and the midwife did her newborn check up. The midwife assistants pushed on my stomach and tortured me in all those ways that they do. :)  I tried to get up to go to the bathroom, but I had to lay back down because I was so dizzy.  Tim brought me a Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich that Rylee had made for me earlier.  I ate like 3/4 of it in about two minutes.  I didn’t realize how hungry I was.  Then Tim brought me a smoothie.  I drank some of that.  They helped me into the bathroom.  After awhile I managed to pee, but I got really dizzy again, so they helped me back to bed quickly.



My doula Lisa let Xanthe enjoy the birthing pool for a little while since I never used it.  :)

Rylee’s Birth Story Part 1 Part 2 Part 3

Nathan’s Birth Story Part 1 Part 2

Xanthe’s Birth Story Part 1 Part 2 Part 3

Related posts:

  1. Rylee’s Birth Story Part 2: Labor
  2. Nathan’s Birth Story: Part 1- Pregnancy
  3. Rylee’s Birth Story: Part 3- A baby Girl!
  4. Nathan’s Birth Story: Part 2- It’s a Boy!
  5. Rylee’s Birth Story: Part 1- Pregnancy…

2 comments to Londyn’s Birth Story

Leave a Reply




You can use these HTML tags

<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>